Paddu is the popular breakfast & snack in Karnataka. Its crispy & prepared with the left over idli batter. Paddu has different names in South India we call it Gulliappa, Gunta Pangana, Gulittu, Appe & everybody in the family likes to eat.
2 cups normal rice(You can also use selam rice)
1/2 cup urad dal (Split Black Lentils)
1/2 cup avalakki(Flattened rice/poha)
A pinch of soda bicarbonate
Salt to taste
How to make the batter:
- Soak the rice and dal separately for minimum 6hrs
- Grind them individually to make a paste and then combine both the batters in a bowl.
- Add salt as per the taste, also add soda.
- Mix well and leave it overnight for fermenting.
- 1tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp channa dal
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 10 finely chopped green chillies
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup coriander
- few chopped curry leaves
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, once it start popping add channa dal. After it turns slightly brownish, add chopped curry leaves, onions, finely chopped chillies and fry for 2minutes. Now add this to the batter along with grated coconut and coriander. Now paddu batter is ready. Use the paddu tawa and cook the batter under low flame. Serve hot with coconut chutney.